It’s Thanksgiving! This officially kicks the “holidays” into high gear. For many of us, this equates to travel. Does anyone have as much trouble packing as I do?
In all aspects of life, I tend to give great advice and not take it. For example, I could advise you on what to pack for a long weekend. I know the rules; stretch your staples, work your wrinkle-free, rely on one great boot & so on. But I am someone who likes to dress for dinner even if no one else is (photo op!!). So when we drive south for a 4 night holiday, I tend to fill up the Tahoe with accessories, pumps and a few extra party options.
Sometimes I have to refocus on the essentials. When it comes to must-haves, most of mine are in the beauty/gadget department. A girl is only as good as her tools, amiright?
1. this clip situation is the coolest contraption – I took it off a 90s dress and use it when I need a cinch at the waist, but a belt just won’t do
2. philosophy eye cream – because it’s never too early
3. book light – serves so many purposes (reading at night not withstanding) – I clip this baby to my lapel on the regular
4. static guard & sweater weather are synonymous
5. yummy NEST travel spray in Midnight Fleur via Pigmint
6. spin pin! If you have longish to long hair, it’s an absolute must – this lil pin holds all my hair up in an epic bun
7. MAC beauty balm – not too much / not too little (my buddy Kory Tyler turned me on to this)
8. ELF brow compact – this is a product I swear up & down by – $3 to epic brows everyday y’all
9. cold cream – I used to make fun of my poor mama when she used this but I’ve seen the err of my ways – the ONLY thing that will remove heavy eye makeup without removing lashes in the process
10. Clinique green concealer – green counteracts red so this stuff is a lifesaver for imperfections plus it has a bit of salicylic acid so (the hope is) your face will look better when you take it off!
11. Maybelline 14hour lipstick in wine and forever & handy dandy case (vintage) – this is my go-to dark lip for Fall
12. hot rollers – call me old fashioned but I love being able to roll my hair up, chill/eat/whatever for a while, unroll & voilà!
A few beloved things that go with me on weekends away…
Vintage Leather Moto Jacket – Grey Dog
Jewels, jewels, jewels in travel hanger
Extra Tall Vintage Hat Box (I can fit 6+ in there!)
what I wore: dress – gracia c/o plato’s closet, heels – bcbg, coat – marvin richards (my mother in law gave me this!)
This past weekend, we went South for the wedding of one of Ro’s childhood friends. It was a lovely wedding complete with so many gorgeous flowers that I was tempted to break in later and steal them all. This Gracia dress (which normally costs $120+) was a gift from Plato’s Closet for my feature on them for NWAFW :). Love.
(what I wore: hat – vintage via cheap thrills, earrings – grey dog (revamped by Stacey @ Dark Star Visuals), dress – sketches by christine jaguin via cheap thrills, b pin – vintage, heels – stuart weitzman via daisy exchange)
While I realize your life does not revolve around what I might have worn, I do apologize for leaving you hanging over the holidays. I was ill/traveling/hope you’ll forgive me. Posts probably will be a bit more sporadic as I’m working on some exciting stuff that I will share soon and some not so exciting stuff that I won’t bore you with. Happy 2013 & thank you for visiting.
what I wore: dress – vintage/handmade by a seamstress’ union via cheap thrills, platforms – target, earrings – in retrospect
what I wore: oversize t-shirt dress – absolutely beach (thrifted), wedge trainers – asos, necklace – vintage
The most comfortable outfit ever. I found this plus-size t-shirt at the thrift store and it’s just long enough to be a dress (if you take precautions!).
what we wore: seersucker suit – bespoke vintage, shoes – asos, bow tie – handmade by my grandma, shirt – banana republic, dress – vintage christian lacroix via cheap thrills, platforms – jeffrey campbell (also wore them on my wedding day!), earrings – vintage from mae’s, cocktail ring – kate spade, clutch – tj maxx
A couple of weeks ago, Ro and I went to New Orleans for the wedding of a friend. I knew it would be a chic affair so the outfit planning began months ago.
On Ro: My mom found this seersucker suit at a thrift store and bought it for one of my brothers. They were not interested so she gave it to Ro. Coincidentally, it fit him beautifully. I learned how to tie a bow tie for the occasion so that he could wear one of my papa’s (my grandma made a bow tie to match every dress).
On me: I found this dress by accident at cheap thrills. Harriet (the proprietor) was showing me a full length leopard fur in the back room and I spied this adorable polka dot number. I asked about it and she said it wasn’t exactly for sale but she’d lend it to me. I tried it on and we both agreed that I had to have it. So, out of the goodness of her heart, she sold it to me.
We had a fabulous time.
what I wore (previously): skirt – esque, belt/blouse – vintage via cheap thrills, earrings – charm & chain, ring/bangle – mom’s, bangle – house of harlow, sandals – lovely people, necklaces – vintage via mae’s
There is a lovely local designer in NWA called Leslie Pennel, her line is esque. I was lucky enough to pick up the above (what I thought was a) skirt from her line at Cheap Thrills.
I loved it as a skirt and while I am typically good at seeing the many ways one item can be worn, it was lost on me. The designer was nice enough to enlighten me to it’s many uses, which I utilized at the beach. If nothing else, it’s a reminder that we can wear the things in our closets in so many different ways.
what I wore: dress – esque by leslie pennel via cheap thrills, belt – vintage, arm party – mae’s/vintage/dannijo
I’ll be away from posting for a little bit (until 7/10). I’m in New Orleans and Gulf Shores taking a holiday with the Mr. Meanwhile, follow me on instagram to keep up while I’m gone – @mspayton. On twitter I’m @pbridewell, I’m also on pinterest, where these lovely images were cultivated – pinterest.com/paytonvail. Also, connect with the window shopper on facebook & click -> here to see all my outfits.