It’s Thanksgiving! This officially kicks the “holidays” into high gear. For many of us, this equates to travel. Does anyone have as much trouble packing as I do?
In all aspects of life, I tend to give great advice and not take it. For example, I could advise you on what to pack for a long weekend. I know the rules; stretch your staples, work your wrinkle-free, rely on one great boot & so on. But I am someone who likes to dress for dinner even if no one else is (photo op!!). So when we drive south for a 4 night holiday, I tend to fill up the Tahoe with accessories, pumps and a few extra party options.
Sometimes I have to refocus on the essentials. When it comes to must-haves, most of mine are in the beauty/gadget department. A girl is only as good as her tools, amiright?
1. this clip situation is the coolest contraption – I took it off a 90s dress and use it when I need a cinch at the waist, but a belt just won’t do
2. philosophy eye cream – because it’s never too early
3. book light – serves so many purposes (reading at night not withstanding) – I clip this baby to my lapel on the regular
4. static guard & sweater weather are synonymous
5. yummy NEST travel spray in Midnight Fleur via Pigmint
6. spin pin! If you have longish to long hair, it’s an absolute must – this lil pin holds all my hair up in an epic bun
7. MAC beauty balm – not too much / not too little (my buddy Kory Tyler turned me on to this)
8. ELF brow compact – this is a product I swear up & down by – $3 to epic brows everyday y’all
9. cold cream – I used to make fun of my poor mama when she used this but I’ve seen the err of my ways – the ONLY thing that will remove heavy eye makeup without removing lashes in the process
10. Clinique green concealer – green counteracts red so this stuff is a lifesaver for imperfections plus it has a bit of salicylic acid so (the hope is) your face will look better when you take it off!
11. Maybelline 14hour lipstick in wine and forever & handy dandy case (vintage) – this is my go-to dark lip for Fall
12. hot rollers – call me old fashioned but I love being able to roll my hair up, chill/eat/whatever for a while, unroll & voilà!
A few beloved things that go with me on weekends away…
Vintage Leather Moto Jacket – Grey Dog
Jewels, jewels, jewels in travel hanger
Extra Tall Vintage Hat Box (I can fit 6+ in there!)
Counting one’s blessings is always a healthy and humbling thing to do. This year I’m thankful for a handsome new husband, a healthy and expanded family, sweet friends, puppies, yummy food, free time and so much more. I always think of Thanksgiving as a passage into six weeks of holidays and it’s lovely to be on the front end.
A happy girl is a pretty girl, don’t you agree?
All three of you…I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday. I wish everyone was able to take off most of the week like me. I know you’re jealous if you are not one of those people. I know I would be if I were you. However, even though you begrudge my time off, you cannot take it away from me. For that and for you, I am thankful.
I must tell you I will probably take a hiatus from posting as often as I like to in regular life in favor of drinking wine on someone’s couch mid-day while watching soapnet, forcing my brothers to listen to my music or “helping my mom cook” which also entails magazine reading and perusing her closet. Also, there will be plenty of time spent in the tub (see etsy).
While I’m away, do a few things for me.
- Go see Burlesque and tell me about it: so I don’t have to because I fear I’d never stop complaining about it and that’s not good for anyone.
- Check out GoFugYourself. It is so freaking funny and I love it.
- Try some Man Repelling. I have a serious and not-so-secret crush on Leandra Medine, the author and her man-getter to man-repeller instruction manuals.
- Check this ridiculous website for office gifts: Knock Knock
And…if you’re interested in some of my favorite posts of late
Isabeli Fontana does tweed and it hurts so good here
I’m obsessed with Kim Noorda or did you already know, here
Laetitia Casta has the best hair I’ve ever seen here
Taylor Tomasi Hill’s style here
And Giovanna Battaglia inspires us all here
Love from the tub,
Here’s hoping we all have magical weekends complete with frivolity and fun. I’m feeling heady with the promise of a few days off next week surrounded by friends and family. My beau is whisking me off to South Arkansas where we will eat, drink, go to an island in the Mississippi River, sit by the fire and inevitably see Harry Potter. This weekend looks to be the very last warm one we’ll have before we slip into holiday season and look forward to Spring.
Beautiful images by Roland Bello.